Dr. Narendra (Randy) Narayan, a general dentist who formerly practised in White Rock and Chilliwack, has admitted to incompetent practice and professional misconduct.
The investigation by the College of Dental Surgeons of BC (CDSBC) of patient and dentist complaints against Dr. Narayan indicated a pattern of sub-standard practice. Issues included failure to diagnose, treat, and obtain informed consent from patients, and questionable billing practices.
CDSBC’s investigations resulted in the issuance of a citation (notice of hearing) (PDF) against Dr. Narayan. He voluntarily ceased practising dentistry as of July 6, 2012. He has not applied for reinstatement.
After considering Narayan’s consent order proposal and admission (PDF) to all the allegations in the citation, and noting the seriousness of the allegations, which establish a pattern of incompetent practice and professional misconduct, a panel of the Inquiry Committee ordered the following:
- A reprimand;
- Cancellation of his registration with CDSBC;
- Before he can apply for reinstatement of registration with CDSBC, he must:
- Provide a report from his physician(s) confirming his mental and physical fitness to practise dentistry
- Complete the fourth year of dental school, including any examinations, at an institution approved by CDSBC
- Pass the National Dental Examining Board examinations (written and clinical)
- Pass a professional ethics course
- Payment of $1,000 to CDSBC for its costs of the investigation
- Should Narayan complete the conditions in c) above, and be reinstated as a registrant of CDSBC, the following conditions will be imposed on his practice:
- He may only practice in association with another dentist approved by CDSBC for 24 months
- He must provide CDSBC with quarterly reports from his physican(s) with respect to his mental and physical fitness to practise dentistry
- He will be subject to monitoring and inspection by CDSBC for 24 months, including patient chart reviews.
The Inquiry Committee order was pronounced 9 October 2013 and finalized November 13, 2013. He is no longer able to practise dentistry and may not use the title of “doctor.”
View the final consent order here (PDF)