Dr. Deanna Geddo Pok is registered with the College of Dental Surgeons of BC (CDSBC) as a general dentist.
Following an investigation by CDSBC, the Inquiry Committee (which oversees investigations) directed that a citation (notice of disciplinary hearing) be issued against Dr. Geddo Pok. A hearing in Vancouver had been scheduled for July 2020, but was cancelled when Dr. Geddo Pok made admissions and proposed a resolution under s.37.1 of the Health Professions Act.
Dr. Geddo Pok has admitted to professional misconduct in that, with respect to a number of patients, she:
- failed to develop an adequate treatment plan and/or conduct the necessary diagnostic assessments to do so
- provided treatment without having first obtained valid informed consent, including failing to provide a reasonable review – with risks, benefits, and costs – of all valid treatment options
- provided treatment that fell below CDSBC’s expected standards
- failed to maintain adequate patient records in accordance with CDSBC’s expected standard for recordkeeping
A panel of the Inquiry Committee received and considered Dr. Geddo Pok’s proposal. In accepting the proposal from the registrant, the Inquiry Committee issued an order (PDF) on June 23, 2020. The order states that Dr. Geddo Pok:
- successfully complete CDSBC’s More Tough Topics in Dentistry online course
- successfully complete CDSBC’s Dental Recordkeeping online course
- review the College’s Dental Recordkeeping Guidelines
- review the Canadian Dental Association’s Oasis video series A Systematic Approach to Using Radiology in the Dental Practice
- complete a comprehensive assessment of her knowledge, skills and abilities with a mentor
- enter into an education and remediation agreement to include endodontics, periodontics, and restorative dentistry
- pay $2,000 to CDSBC towards the costs of the investigation